Hello, readers and writers!
Today I’ll be discussing sex scenes and what’s important while writing them. I’ve been told by those who have read No Expectations and the few beta-readers I had look at the manuscript of Escape that my sex scenes are the most dominant part of my writing. I take that 100% as a compliment as, even though we all know each element of the story is important, the sex scenes are why we choose to read the type of literature we do.
So let’s break this down.
- Setting the mood. Why, when, and how are the characters experiencing this moment? Who they are to one another needs to be established before the scene, giving the readers an emotional investment into why they should care about this sexually charged moment between two characters.
- Use all of the senses. Touching is a guarantee, but all other senses need to come into play to establish a stronger scene. This other person must invade all of their senses, intoxicating them to the point of no return. A craving in every sense of the word.
- Establishing how far this scene will go. How explicit will this scene be? Will we get to see it all? Will there only be a short intro then the rest is rushed over? Will it be incredibly detailed? Will there be kinky, taboo moments? After answering all of these questions, also ask yourself why?
- Pacing yourself. The scene shouldn’t feel rushed. We want readers to keep turning the pages, and the scene should be enough to satisfy the reader’s curiosity. We want their questions to be answered and maybe even raise new questions once the moment is over.
Before ever even starting a sex scene, there must be tension between the two characters. This must be established earlier in the story, even if it’s only a few sentences or a scene. We need to feel it in our toes when they finally share the moment. The kiss that sets them on fire and when it all begins.
I thought it might be fun to do a little prompt for anyone who wants to try! Use the scene for whatever you wish, or maybe leave it in the comments if you want. I would love to read what you guys come up with.
Sex Scene Prompt:
Two people who are given a second chance. They’re alone for the first time in years, standing across from one another as the heat intensifies, becoming too much that they must give in.
Your short scene/story should answer:
- Who are they?
- Where are they?
- Why are they there?
- What happens?
- How does it happen?
- Why does the reader care?
Don’t forget to show and not tell!
Other Prompts for Fun:
- Enemies who have been forced to work together on a project.
- One of them is new to town, and the other has made a point of showing them around and becoming their friend.
- One secretly knows the other and is plotting against them. This is the seduction scene where they have finally won them over.
- The ex of a friend they’ve always had a thing for but could never express it. Now is their chance!
- Taboo relationship either based on age, status, or whatever else. Could be boss/employee, teacher/student, or large age gap.
Let me know if any of these sparked any type of inspiration! Writing random scenes can be so much fun 🙂
Thanks for reading!
Until next time 🙂